JOB VACANCY NOTICE
Internal / External
This is a CUPE LOCAL 50 position
DATE OF ISSUE: November 9/2017 CLOSING DATE: November 30/2017
Competition Number: P15-17
Position Title: Infrastructure Administrator -Information Technology
Number of Positions: One
Duration: Regular full-time
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 35 hrs/week
Pay Group: $47.84/hour (pay grade 18)
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST be received by 4:30 p.m. on the above closing date and must be complete, including all qualifications and experience relevant to this position. Please quote the competition number on your submission.
To apply please forward your submission electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Department / Division / Section:
- Police / Information Technology
- Install, configure and administer servers, databases, applications, local and wide area networks, storage, security and associated systems and provide technical support and training.
- Install, configure, maintain and administer core IT Infrastructure including servers, network, and storage systems. Evaluate agency IT needs, determine system requirements and provide input into the IT strategic plan for hardware, software, systems, infrastructure and budgets. Take an active role in maintaining IT security for systems, storage and network.
- Install and configure windows based servers and systems, virtual systems, applications and databases. Provide technical support; ensure uniformity of standards, prepare documentation, make recommendations on corporate IT infrastructure, security, policy, and storage systems. Ensure the protection of Police business systems and information and develop disaster recovery plans and processes to support the Police Department’s business continuity.
- Provide technical support for the Police Department’s mobile and web server infrastructure including, servers, databases, security, firewall and interfaces between web front-ends and application database systems.
- Remain current and be aware of new technologies, risks and threats, and take proactive measures to ensure that core infrastructure and systems are patched and updated to minimize outages or failures.
- Respond to enquiries and complaints from staff regarding application and hardware related problems; liaise with other departments for IT strategic planning and represent the division on various city committees; provide advice and support implementation of in-house developed, purchased, web-based and SQL based applications; provide technical information and analysis to staff, consultants and outside agencies; schedule and monitor the work of computer consultants; maintain records and files for the section.
- Perform related duties as and when required.
- Work is generated by annual objectives and budget, requests for service and system requirements or as assigned by supervisor.
- Work is reviewed through reports to supervisor.
- Issues such as major expenditures and policy are referred to supervisor with recommendations.
- Sit with arms unsupported while keyboarding (often)
- Lift and move medium weight equipment (rare)
- Periods of intense concentration while developing and implementing IT systems and solutions (often)
- Meet multiple and conflicting priorities and deadlines (frequent)
- Focus on a variety of technical source data, system configuration options, focus on VDT (often)
- Office and computer room. Computer room is relatively noisy and has a lot of electrical outlets, connections involved.
Key Skills and Abilities:
- Understand and apply the principles of personal computer and network operating systems, servers, databases, networks and general infrastructure.
- Design, plan and implement local and area wide networks, systems, servers, databases, backup and recovery strategies, disaster recovery and business continuity plans.
- Install manage and maintain physical servers and virtual machines.
- Design, plan and implement web based applications.
- Working level knowledge of enterprise IT infrastructure storage and security.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Prepare and present reports, proposals and training sessions.
- Establish and maintain working relationships.
- Organize and prioritize work of the unit.
Formal Education, Training and Occupational Certification:
- Diploma in Computer Science or Microcomputer Technology (2 years)
- Microsoft or Cisco Certification (Professional Level) (1 year)
- Required to obtain security and criminal record clearance
- Required to sign attestation of confidentiality
- 5 years of related experience including 2-3 years of experience in core IT infrastructure support and implementation or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- May be requested to substitute in a more senior position
Job Description: 4275 – “under review”